Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The road I travel must be a dirt road....

Did you find the title of this entry clever?
That's how I feel about right now. I feel as if my road is bumpier than an average road, there are many obstacles in my way and as soon as I feel like I am on a straight-away to feeling good, I hit a huge pot hole.

This pothole is probably one of the biggest.
As many of you may know, I have been battling a mass on my ovaries since August 2013. I have gone to countless doctors, had multiple ultrasounds, and tried countless therapies to fix it.
I had finally hit my breaking point, when the doctor mentioned the magic words "surgery".
This is what I had been waiting for, I wanted this more than anything. To have this mass removed and to feel better. The doctor said I just needed one last ultrasound and then I just be cleared for surgery.

That last ultrasound opened a door that I never saw coming.
I got a call, saying I needed to go to an oncologist.
Everyone knows what kind of doctor this, and everyone knows when you are referred to one, it's never a good thing.

So, with my head between my knees, I called the oncologist and got an appointment for 4/8.


The overall appointment seemed positive.
BUT I GOT BIG news.
What is the doctor's approach.
Medical menopause.
That's right. I am 21 and will be going through menopause all at the same time.

Sounds like a good time?
Yeah right.

I will go into the office every month, starting 4/15 and receive an implanted injection called zoladex.
Research it.
I am not excited about this.
I do not want my bones to hurt, or to be even more tired than I already am, or being moody.
Ok that's all of my rant on that.



The GOOD news about all this?
1-With going through menopause, the doctor believes my pain will subside.
2-This will prepare me for surgery, and will make the doctor more comfortable with taking out ovaries if necessary.
3-The medicine used to put me through menopause is actually used to treat certain forms of cancer, so there is a CHANCE that the medicine can actually help my cyst.

The NOT SO GOOD news about this?
1-Bloodwork every two weeks to monitor my hormone levels and my CA125.
2-Menopause at 21. (except not having periods, that'll be nice).
3-The doctor does have reason to believe that there is cancer, but believes that we have enough time to do these steps first before the surgery.
4-The fact that if this doesn't work, I will still be in pain.

So there it is. My big news. Not the easiest for me to swallow, but to me, it seems to be just another pothole and I just have to keep driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment