Sunday, February 17, 2013

Growing older sucks

Ok. Everyone knows that when your 50 you are supposed to start receiving the "dreaded" colonoscopy. It's important for everyone to do to make sure that you stay as healthy as you can. However, quite frankly I am tired of the bad rep that they get. Obviously, if you read my blog, you know that I am younger. But with the joys of having CF and with a lot of my issues being digestive, I had the pleasure of receiving my 3rd or 4th one of these bad boys last week. So I thought this would be a great place to share my experience to show everybody-Hey,it's not so scary or awkward or embarrassing. Sure, you don't want to go around bragging about it, but in reality it's no big deal. So here's my week outline...

First. You get the pleasure of doing a liquid diet. For most people it is just the day before the procedure-but lucky me, I had to do a 2 day liquid diet. You get to indulge in Popsicles, broth, water, Gatorade, and clear gelatin.The only tricky part about this step is staying away from the colors red,orange, and purple. I learned the hard way that those are the majority colors of Popsicles.  However, I was able to find a citrus assortment box with yellows and greens so I was good to go.


Then you get this bad boy. My specific prep is called golytely. This will be the hardest part about the colonoscopy. It tastes absolutely awful-and depending on your doctor you will either drink it all in one sitting or you'll do a split bowel prep. I had the pleasure of doing split bowel prep, so I drank half Wednesday night and then had to get up early Thursday morning and drink the rest of it. It's hard to drink-but you gotta do it.


Procedure day is the easiest day-unless you're like me and have a procedure that's scheduled at 2 pm. That's right-I had to go allllll day without anything to eat or drink. I had the strangest cravings by the time I was put to sleep. But anyways, you'll go to the hospital, get an iv, they'll take you back to the procedure room, and then an about an hour-two hours you'll wake up. You have no memory of what happened, and my doctor's had even waited until I was asleep to lift my gown up.




See? Not so scary right. Certainly not scary when you think about that not getting colonoscopies could increase your chances of not finding cancer and other stuff right away. I was in a little pain afterwards, but that's also because I had the pleasure of receiving 15 biopsies due to my condition. I am pretty sure that is not routine. And at the end of the day, you go home to the comfort of your home with knowledge of how your insides are looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment